Hype_logo the creative publishing network Nav_explore Aboutconvzne + join Zine Support Sign up Log in
ZINES ||| Top Rated | New | Random
Explore more >
Editors
Profile Profile
COMMUNITY
Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini Mini
> view all 189

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

RSS LINK

Topics

◀ BACK SIGN IN

Copyright infringement

I see how whenever posting to any zine we have the option of original content, and links to content found on the web. I am finding copyright content being used in derivative works - with no mention of the copyright holder, no linkage to the original works, and the post being submitted as original content.  I understand that if the context is editorial then there are different rules that apply, but these are presented as original works of art. Since they are not editorial; they are clearly copyright infringing works. My concern is that this potentially opens the poster, and possibly the operators of Convozine to copyright infringement charges...which can accrue at $150,000 per occurance. I'm not sure how to approach this....I don't want to join zines just to point out in a message something the owner is likely to have knowningly done. I don't know how the operator's of Convozine can be expected to check all the posts...if they are having "hundreds of zines created each day". Using "Tineye" can help with photographic content, but there are other types of content here. Preserving meta data (EXIF and IPTC) could also help. If, it seems, we are to self-police convozine content - can someone from Convozine explain the proper procedure for addressing copyright infringing submissions.

Posted Nov 2, 2011

Joseph Yen

Mini
Hi James,

Thanks for bringing this up. We have a strict policy against using copyrighted works in violation of the rights holders. If you see any cases of infringement, please email us a link at info@convozine.com. We'll investigate and delete the post/user if necessary.

The responsibility for enforcing usage rights is with the person who posts it. The zine owners/editors and zine participants are not at risk of infringement.

This is from the Terms of Service agreement (http://convozine.com/tos):

Copyright Policy
Convozine respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects users of the Services to do the same. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law and are properly provided to us. If you believe that your Content has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide us with the following information: (i) a physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on their behalf; (ii) identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed; (iii) identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material; (iv) your contact information, including your address, telephone number, and an email address; (v) a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and (vi) a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.

We reserve the right to remove Content alleged to be infringing without prior notice and at our sole discretion. In appropriate circumstances, Convozine will also terminate a user’s account if the user is determined to be a repeat infringer. To notify us of alleged copyright infringement appearing on the Services, email info@convozine.com

posted 11.02.11

submitting ...